Week 3 Workout 7: CardioDecember 3, 2016
Week 3 Workout 5: ShouldersDecember 3, 2016
Try our back and core strengthening workouts to help you build endurance in your mid-section and a strong back.
Warm your body up with a 10-15mins dynamic warmup (think stretching or walk up and down the stairs) before starting the workout below. Perform each exercise according to the instruction, and rest 1-2mins between sets. Cool down with 5mins stretching or foam rolling after finishing all exercises.
Rest 60 – 90 seconds between exercises.
EXERCISE 1 BENT OVER ROWS : 20 reps x 4 sets
1. Holding a dumbbell in each hand (palms facing each other), bend your knees slightly and bending your upper body forward at your waist. Make sure to keep your back straight and almost parallel to the floor.
2. Keep your upper body steady, lift the dumbbells to your sides, keeping the elbows close to the body. As your elbows going slightly higher than your back, squeeze the back muscle.
3. Slowly lower the dumbbells again to the starting position.
4. Repeat and perform 20 repetitions.
EXERCISE 2 BAND ROWS : 25 reps x 3 sets
- Wrap the resistance band around a steady object. It can be a doorknob, pole, or a tree. Then step back till there is desired tension in the band.
- Stand with your feet apart, shoulder width, and your knees slightly bent.
- Pull the band toward you in a rowing motion while keeping your shoulders back and elbows close to your sides. This will help to direct the tension to your back muscles.
- Release back to the starting point with arms fully extended.
- Repeat and perform 25 repetitions.
Alternative: TRX Rows ( with access to TRX)
EXERCISE 3 TORSO TWIST : 20 reps each side x 4 sets
Option 1: perform with cable machine
Option 2: perform with a swiss ball
(holding it in front of your chest with both arms extended)
- Wrap a resistance band around a stable object and joint both ends together. Stand upright holding both ends of the band and extend your arms away from your torso. This will be your starting position.
- Rotate your torso to one side while keeping your lower body stationary. Pause briefly and rotate back to the opposite direction.
- Repeat and perform 20 repetitions.
EXERCISE 4 SIDE PLANK DIPS : 25 reps each side x 3 set
- On a yoga mat, get into a side plank position by balancing your weight on one elbow and stacking your feet. Lift your hips off the floor and keep your body straight.
- Lower your hip to nearly touching the floor. Then bring the hip back up to the starting position.
- Repeat 25 reps before switching side.
EXERCISE 5 TREE CLIMBERS : 25 reps x 3 sets
- Lie flat on a yoga mat on the floor and extend one of your legs straight up in the air.
- Use both hands, “climb” up your straight up leg like climbing a tree while lifting your shoulders off the floor.
- “Climb” back down to the starting position. Keep contracting your abs throughout the entire motion.
Another victory! Now cool down on a foam roller or stretch on a yoga mat. Remember to rehydrate and feed your hard working muscles with a tasty protein shake!